An ever-growing number of churches is making the connection between trade and poverty and committing to using Fairtrade products including tea, coffee, sugar and biscuits. You can read about the benefits of buying products with the FAIRTRADE Mark here.
Churches organise hundreds of events during Fairtrade Fortnight and throughout the year as well as including prayers and readings about Fairtrade in their worship. Faith groups continue to be key supporters of Fairtrade which is making a real difference to the lives of more than 7 million farmers, workers and their families in 59 developing countries. To be part of the campaign by becoming a Fairtrade Church, please register with us.
The three goals
Your Church Council must agree to the following:
- Use Fairtrade tea and coffee after services and in all meetings for which you have responsibility
- Move forward on using other Fairtrade products such as sugar, biscuits and fruit
- Promote Fairtrade during Fairtrade Fortnight and during the year through events, worship and other activities whenever possible
How to apply
Once you have achieved the three goals, please complete the Fairtrade Church Application Form and return it to the Fairtrade Foundation by email or post to Fairtrade Church Application, The Fairtrade Foundation, 3rd Floor, IBEX House, 42-47 Minories, London EC3N 1DN. Once your application has been processed, we will send you a pack of materials including a Fairtrade Church certificate to display in your church.
Support, resources and activities
- Read the Churches Action Guide which has many ideas for events and activities and Church Lectionary. If you would like to order promotional materials to support your campaign, you can order materials online or call 020 7440 7676.
- Run a session for children at your church or in a local school introducing them to what Fairtrade is. Download guidance
- Read our Ideas for worship and use them in your activities.
- Talk to your church group about the role that Fairtrade plays in areas affected by violence. This Powerpoint presentation, with accompanying notes, was put together with One World Week 2010. Download here
- Sign up to the Fairtrade Faiths e-newsletter that contains all the latest news and information about events and products which will be of interest to Fairtrade Churches and those working towards status.
- If you would like to purchase Fairtrade products such as Fairtrade tea , coffee , sugar or communion wine for your church please visit our product pages for a full listing of products available.
- If you have a question regarding Fairtrade Churches, please email us